Friday, March 16, 2018

There is a small cafe, towards the old school on Morrison Street. I’ll be there tonight, if you’d like to stop on by. I like to get there by 630, at around that time the bakery across the way begins to bake it's stuff for the weekend. The aroma is spectacular and creates an insatiable lust for anything - once in a while I’ll order a jelly roll. I usually sit outdoors, weather permitting and the weather looks lovely today. I’ll be there with my knitted derby, dark sunglasses and doing a crossword puzzle. Cappuccino in front of me and a view of the winding road as it winds down and around. I like to come here on Thursdays, the mood is usually a bit jollier than other days. There is also a band that plays acoustically across the road, I sometimes join in with my harmonica; once or twice I played some guitar, but not tonight. When you said goodbye I didn’t know how I would react, internally, to your leaving. But it haunted me for some time - especially when I saw you dancing with that clueless kid with the Armani tuxedo, your arms encircled around his waist. I had to turn away, I had to leave, I should have left but instead I stayed and absorbed the hits. Only when I was bruised enough inside did I decide I had enough, limping away for good measure. The years have been good to me - although it was kind of a rough go for some time - life was still filled with beauty and wonder. I loved and love more than I could ever have imagined - in a world filled with impossible expense and debt - it's funny how the best things in life, the ones that you will remember, the stuff that time is filled with - they don’t cost a dime. Still I think about you. So, there is this small cafe - just beyond that winding road which connects Morrison Street with New Amsterdam. I’ll be sitting there, in the corner, taking deep breaths and sips of my cup of cappuccino. Perhaps I will also have a jelly roll in front of me just for the contrast in colors. More at www.freddyzalta.com #poetry #love #myart #tgif #smallcafeInstagram


No comments: